Our dentists and team are committed to helping you avoid developing periodontal disease. By preventing periodontal disease, you can not only enjoy better oral and overall health but also avoid the need for more extensive and costly treatments in the future.
The best way to prevent gum disease is to practice good oral hygiene at home. We recommend that you:
- Brush at least twice a day. Ideally, you should brush your teeth after each meal and before going to bed at night.
- Floss daily.
- Consider using an antibacterial mouth rinse.
- Visit your dentist at least twice a year for routine preventive care. Many cases of gum disease develop without the patient experiencing pain or discomfort, so receiving regular dental exams is crucial to diagnosing and treating gum disease as early as possible.
Please be aware that there are some risk factors that may increase your chances of developing gum disease. These factors include:
- Smoking or the use of other tobacco products
- Poor dental hygiene
- A family history of gum disease
- Systemic health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, etc.
For more information about gum disease prevention or to make an appointment with our dentists, please contact our office today.